2020 LIFEGUARD TRAINING APPLICATION Learning to swim is a vital skill and the City of Buffalo, under the leadership of Mayor Byron W. Brown, continues to make every effort to ensure that every child is safe in the water. Below is a list of learn-to-swim programs and swim strengthening programs offered in the City of Buffalo.
– Formal “Learn to Swim” Course is offered at Lovejoy and Cazenovia Pools; the 8-week course is held on Saturdays from 9:30 – 11am, beginning January 4, 2020 with a Fee of $15 for residents and $30 for non-residents, ages 5 years and up. New classes will start every eight weeks thereafter.
– Free Summer Swim Lessons are offered at each of the City of Buffalo outdoor pool locations between 11am &12pm through the summer season, July 1st through Labor Day, ages 5 and up.
– Minority Lifeguard Recruitment Program: Direct outreach this winter by current City of Buffalo Lifeguards to recruit local minority High School students to participate in Lifeguard training programs. Current staff will visit every city public high school in an effort to inform and recruit minority youth to enroll in the Swim Stroke Strengthening Course and Lifeguard Certification Course. Information will also be provided to local centers and other community organizations throughout the year. These actions ensure a diverse and local workforce to staff Buffalo pools.
– Swim Stroke Strengthening Course is offered at Cazenovia Pool for ages 15 to 18 years old. This course is designed for youth that already know how to swim but need to develop stronger swimming skills in order to complete the Lifeguard training. Fee is the same as swim lessons, please call the Pools & Rinks Office for dates and times.
– Lifeguard Training and Certification is also something the city takes seriously. Registration is open to anyone who is 15 years of age by Jan. 1, 2020. If you are a city resident, 16 years of age by July 1, 2020, and complete the upcoming Lifeguard certification courses beginning January 18, 2020, you may be considered for employment this summer at City Pools. See back of this flyer and complete the application.. Buffalo Public School students are eligible for scholarships
Please call the Pools & Rinks Office at (716) 851 – 5998 for more information or visit us at: www.city-buffalo.com