General. This course examines various current techniques of culinary training and develops skill and knowledge of incorporating tangible soft skills with advanced cooking methods. This specific focus seeks to advance the practice and culinary skill of the motivated individual, with a specific focus of obtaining employment at the time of completion. In addition to skill and leadership tools, this course provides its graduates with a Certificate of Completion in Culinary Art, and a personal private reference from the course instructor.
Objectives. Upon completion of this course students will be able to demonstrate the following culinary learning competencies and developmental aptitudes:
- General Hospitality Knowledge: Demonstrate knowledge of front of the house staff and services, banquet service, and customer service skills.
- Culinary Skill: Demonstrate knowledge of the 5 French mother sauces, Banquet service, food preparation, cooking, and the following advanced culinary skills: Nutrition Science, Knife Skills, Meat Preparation and Serving, Soups and Sauces, Baking and Deserts, and a general knowledge of Restaurant Operations.
- Soft skills, Employability and Work Ethic: Conduct and participate in modules in the atmosphere of a team of peers and professionals, to be evaluated by course instructor and reviewed with the student on a regular basis.
- Career Planning and Management: Exposure to affordable living wage careers and opportunities.
- Mentoring: Instructor recognizes, encourages, and builds upon the potential within an individual to help them realize and achieve development of their individual strengths.
Day & Time: Tuesdays, 5:30pm – 6:30pm
Dates: October 24 – December 5, 2017 (no Nov. 21)